Friday 24 October 2014

Task 2d Inquiry

·         In my daily practice, the thing that gets me enthusiastic for the day is my morning run. It gives me time to think about the day ahead of me and to focus. It was my manager who encouraged me to start this around a year ago and I have been going at least 4 mornings a week ever since. Of course we all have inspirations famous ballerinas, choreographers etc. , but for me it is my manager who I admire in many ways with her wise words and positivity that has made me want to become the best teacher I can. This is the business Natascia Mazzucato started only three years ago and I am proud to be a part of. Check out the website below.
               http://www.dancehouseuk.com/

·         Negativity in and out of the workplace is something I really do not appreciate. Especially if it is toward me or about a piece of work I have created in my professional practice .I have unfortunately experienced  this at work and it can be hurtful and give you a real knock back which can damage your work. I will share on here a part of my journal which describes and reflects on this experience.
 I feel however bad your day is going you should never let it affect a mood or atmosphere                   around you or let it ruin a positive energy.  This really upsets me when people think it is ok to do this. It is disrespectful, unprofessional and unethical behaviour.
We come across these behaviours not only in the dance world but in all industries and I believe everyone should have their way of overcoming it and not being dragged into the negative conversation or state of mind.  When you watch the news it really puts life into prospective and should make you feel blessed for what you have not what you don’t have. This is how I remain positive about myself and my career.

·         What I love the most about what I do is watching a child progress and improve in their technique and dancing as they get older. It is rewarding to know it is me who has got that child to that level and all my hard work has paid off. I love creating numbers for our Christmas and summer shows and putting them on the stage for an audience to enjoy. Again, it is rewarding to watch the students putting all their hard work and technique from class onto the stage and experiencing make-up, costumes, lights and props some for the first time. I was inspired my all of my dance teachers when growing up and is lovely to know I am now inspiring students of all backgrounds. I admire anyone who has gone on to dance and perform professionally as a career. It is a tough industry and difficult not to give up when being rejected time after time.  

·         I do not understand as a dance teacher why the older students 11 -16 do not take well to constructive criticism. They seem to think the teacher is being horrible or nasty toward them instead of understanding it is to help and better their skills as a dancer.  Of course it is important to approach the student and be careful how the criticism is said as us teachers abide by a code of professional practice, but however hard you try to explain a constructive criticism to this age group they do not seem to take it very well. It makes me feel sad and sometimes like I have failed as a dance teacher. When I grew up as a student I never remember being allowed to show this attitude or come across as negative in a dance class. Is it today’s society and generation? Therefore I admire anyone who works closely with this age group not just in dance but in education also. Of course it is not everyone of this age group.



·         Being a dance teacher is very much different to an academic teacher from a child’s point of view This maybe because it is an extra curriculum activity children often think you are more approachable. I always make sure I abide by my studios code of professional conduct and also by the board I teach for code of professional practice. Whilst the students are under my supervision I must make sure I am protecting them but also protecting myself as a teacher by following the rules of my school and the eight principles of the Data Protection Act 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment