Wednesday 22 October 2014

Task 2c - Reflective Theory

Reflective practice is "the capacity to reflect on action so as to engage in a process of continuous learning". According to one definition it involves "paying critical attention to the practical values and theories which inform everyday actions, by examining practice reflectively and reflexively. This leads to developmental insight".

As I have been researching about reflection, I have realised that I am using it in everyday life. If it is not putting my thoughts onto paper, I have them in my head or whilst teaching I will record my work and look back on it later.
Throughout time it is believed that students learn through experience. However Dewey {1933} believed that there can be no true growth in learning through experience alone, but by reflecting on the experience. Schon {1983} believes that through reflective practice students develop a critical understanding, make sense of the situation and become competent practitioners.

There are several models of reflection used in practice. In more formal reflective writing, where your work is being assessed, it is Important to use a framework. There are several formal models of reflection which can be used. A model is Gibbs’ model of reflection (1988). Gibbs’ model of reflection is an everyday process. We reflect on a range of everyday problems and situations all the time: What went well? What didn't? Why? How do I feel about it? An outline of this model is given below.


However Kolb’s {1984} provides one of the most useful descriptive models available of the adult learning process, inspired by the work of Kurt Lewin. This learning cycle shows a model of learning through experience and that there are four stages in learning which follow from each other."Experiential learning takes place when a person is involved in an activity, looks back at it critically, determines what was useful or important to remember, and uses this information to perform another activity.I found this model particularly useful when reflecting on my teaching session which I will take forward with me in my professional practice.

Evaluating the effectiveness of a teaching session is an important tool if we want to improve on it. There are a number of key issues to consider. For example, what do you want to evaluate? Why do you want to evaluate it? When is the best time to evaluate? How will you evaluate and what will you do with the outcome?
 When we first start teaching, our first worry is, “How am I doing? “rather than “What have the students learnt?” These anxieties will subside with experience. Improving student learning is at the heart of the evaluation of the teaching session therefore the student should be a key source of information. Therefore one of the most effective ways of getting feedback from students is simply by asking them at the end of the teaching session or by asking them to write down the main points they have learnt and the main thing they still didn’t understand from the session. The main advantage of this approach is that it gives the student a chance to think more actively about their learning which can have a positive impact on their development.
Moon believes that reflection is a form of mental processing – like a form of thinking – that we use to fulfil a purpose or to achieve some anticipated outcome. It is applied to relatively complicated or unstructured ideas for which there is not an obvious solution and is largely based on the further processing of knowledge and understanding and possibly emotions that we already possess.
Moon (1999) suggests that the differences in approach are accounted for largely by different focuses - either on the process of reflection, on the purpose for it or the outcomes of reflection – in effect, how it is used. Schon, for example, is concerned about reflection as a mechanism for professional and perhaps personal development while.  Kolb explores the role of reflection in learning – setting a context for it, but referring relatively little to reflection itself. Dewey is exceptional in taking a holistic view of reflection as a process – a view that accords with the common sense definition above.


I usually have a lesson plan before I go into teaching a class; however it doesn’t always go to plan due to time, disruptions and the unknown. So, then I use my experience and knowledge to continue even though it may not have gone to plan. At the end of the session I take five minutes to reflect the positives and negatives and how I would go about things differently next time. Even when my day is over, I still find myself reflecting when I am lying in bed or drifting off to sleep as I am so passionate about what I do.

References

Dewey, J.(1993). How we think. Boston: D. C.Heath.

Kolbs,D.A. and Fry,R.(1975) Towards an applied theory of experimental learning, in Cooper,C.L.(ED.) (1976) op.cit

Moon J. (2001) Personal development planning.University of Exeter

Schon, D. [1983]. The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action. London: Temple-Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment